Skip to main content

Speedy Salad Saves Supper

Chicken salad with beets, radishes and the like
Simple

My wife, Melanie has just finished teaching a summer school course! She's tired. I'm tired. Dinner tonight was designed to be fast and to use up some ingredients that have been piling up in the fridge thanks to this week's Foster Family Farm food box (and last week's to be fair).

We had two heads of lettuce this week, along with more beets, radishes, and carrots. Last week's cucumber was also looking to be used quickly. So why not blend everything with he last of the celery?

Oh, celery! It's been anywhere between $5 and $8 all year, mirroring the olden days when it was so celebrated and exclusive that there were special celery vases that people would use to display them to flaunt to their envious dinner guests. True story. I jumped on a stalk when I saw them for $2.99.

Celery to the rescue
Yes, I was so excited that I took a picture

I don't like radishes, but Melanie does. We have so many now that I may as well try to carve them into roses and other ornamental shapes. This was my first attempt.

Now that she's done working until September, will she take over the cooking duties? Hopefully not all, otherwise what would I take pictures of?

Salad. It's not hard:

  • The salad has lettuce
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Grilled chicken thighs
  • Grilled Beets
  • Radish roses for visual flair - though Mel ate one
  • I forgot corn! Oops.

Comments