Skip to main content

Oodles of Zoodles

Check thighs atop chow mein and zucchini noodles
It's got more bite than it appears

What to do with oodles of zucchini? I bought some a week ago and I needed to use them straight away. My solution? Noodle them up! I don't have a fancy spiralizer, so I have to use this julienne attachment on my mandoline. Works ok!

This dish was surprisingly easy and came together in very little time. I initially didn't make enough noodle concoction – zucchinis really do shrink when cooked. I've adjusted how I made this to make for 4 generous portions, or enough for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. This packed quite a bit of flavour and I didn't need a lot to feel full. It can easily be made without the chow mien noodles or flour, but they respectively add structure to the dish and a thickness to the sauce.

A side of Chinese greens would probably balance out the plate!
  • Season chicken thighs with
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Poultry seasoning, and
  • Harissa seasoning
Grill on barbecue until cooked. While this is grilling away, sauce together and set aside:
  •  ¼ cup soya sauce
  • 1 - 2 tsp Sriracha sauce
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp flour
In the pan, cook down:
  • ½ sliced onion
  • 3 sliced garlic scapes
  • a finely chopped jalapeno
Add a ½ cup water and 2 portions of chow mein noodles to a high heat. Once noodles have softened, add 3 spiralled or julienned zucchinis and the sauce. Cook for a few more minutes until combined. Done!

'Scape from what?
Harissa is an African blend of dried peppers and garlic. I didn't have any Asian blends on hand, but that spice played nicely with the Sriracha.

Garlic scapes are the stems that grow on garlic bulbs. They have a very mild garlic flavour and can be used anywhere garlic can. They're a staple in the Foster Family Farm food box. 

Comments