Skip to main content

Do You Quiche Your Mom With That Mouth?

If you squint a little, it looks like the Moon

A new vegetable that I've never cooked before appeared in this week's food box: callaloo. It's a hearty green from the Caribbean that seems to be not unlike spinach. But bigger. Stronger. More powerful. Jamaican Popeye are this to grow big and and attract women named after oils. Coco perhaps.

Wanting to use it at its peak, I found a recipe for quiche. I've never made a quiche before. I don't even really eat quiches. Store-bought ones taste flat and are overpowered by onion. Homemade ones... I almost never come across. Until now!

This was a Jamaican-inspired quiche. I guess what makes it so is the all-spice, another thing that's in the kitchen that I've never used. Interesting...

I wouldn't be opposed to kicking up the spice in a future quiche, maybe with a scotch bonnet pepper to complete the theme. It was pretty savoury and paired well with a garden salad.

  • Blind bake and cool a crust, whether a pre-frozen Tenderflake crust (hey, it's a weeknight), or rolling out your own
  • In a bowl, combine 1 bunch of finely-chopped callaloo
  • ½ finely-chopped white onion
  • finely-chopped garlic scapes or minced garlic
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp all spice
  • ½ tsp thyme
In another bowl
  • whisk 7 eggs
  • whisk in ½ c milk and
  • 1 tbsp butter
Sprinkle cheese onto the crust. Combine bowls well and pour into crust. If not using a crust, then pour into a baking vessel that is well greased. Top with cheese Bake for 30-45 mins at 375ยบ. Part-way, I had to cover to protect top from burning.



Comments